Friday 29 March 2013

Easter


This is the time of year when I celebrate Jesus dying on the cross for us.  Of course the chocolate gets in there as week and we do the whole Easter Bunny part of it as well.  My children know the true meaning of the holidays -  Christmas and Easter - so I don't feel bad about it.  I do find though that all holidays throughout the year have become way to commercialized.  My goal for Easter this year was to keep things low-key.  Which I almost did.  Each kid has skittles, a chocolate bunny and a couple SMALL things for their basket.  Plus of course the Easter egg hunt Sunday morning.  I also bought 3 remotes and two games for their PS3 which will be a joint gift for all of them.  For me this is alot less than I have been.   Even the hidden eggs have been cut in half if not less.  We also skipped the city wide egg hunt.  I didn't miss that part at all.  When my kids wake up Sunday morning they will likely be surprised that the "bunny" cut back but I want them to know what they get isn't important as what they have.  They have a warm/cool home, plenty of food and more love than they can imagine.  They have everything they need and it's time for them to stop having so many extras.  As nice as it is to give them whatever they want, they need to learn to earn some of it as well.  When questions come up as to why the lack of gifts I will let them know that maybe they should check their behavior and willingness to help out around the house.  It will be a reinforcement of Jesus dying for us plus a lesson in respect and working together this year.

I wish all my friends and family the most blessed Easter as I leave you with one of my favourite songs from this time of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I know how much fun it is to buy for them (hey, I spoil them enough!), but it's also good for them to earn, or to learn the difference between what they want and what they need.
    I do miss Easter egg hunts (the ones at home; we never had the big ones and they sound scary from all I've read about them).
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete